Primitive Diva

My photo
Three Goats Farm of Montgomery, Texas
Melissa is a former beauty queen, personal trainer and certified holistic health coach. Melissa founded Queen Bee Wellness to specialize her coaching practice towards Women's Wellness and Beauty. She helps women focus on finding their own natural beauty from a integrative approach of balancing Mind, Body and Soul. Melissa believes that what we put in our mind is just as important as the nourishing food we put in our bodies and products on our skin. She strives to coach women to balance a healthier body image, approach to wellness and authentic living. With her passion for a clean lifestyle, Queen Bee Wellness therapeutic skin care products were born- to help women enhance their natural glow, without causing harm to their health from chemical laden toxic products. Melissa's philosophy to real beauty is summarized in "Wellness is Beauty". Melissa resides on a 10 acre farm in Montgomery, Texas with her husband and teen aged children. In her spare time she is chief goat wrangler and milker of her "Queen Bee" herd of dairy goats at Three Goats Farm.

Monday, March 5, 2012

Breaking the Milk FAST with friendship....A lesson in relaxing food rules sometimes!





Spent an absolutely BEAUTIFUL Texas spring day at our future farm yesterday. Continued on the nourishing RAW Milk Cure, while enjoying sunshine, nature and solitude. It was great time for our 10 week old goat kid," BELLA"  to begin foraging a bit as we are weaning her off the bottlefeeding. So, on our drive back to the burbs, hubby and I contemplated how long to stay on our MILK only program. We had very positive results and honestly feel that milk can be a sustaining perfect food. Maybe we could do this for 10 days....there was no hunger. So we committed that we would attempt a second week. That morning before heading out to the farm, we had made a promise to my son --- when we returned home we would visit his best friend and family, to wish him happy birthday (turning 10) and celebrate with birthday cake. It was easily determined that based on how late it was that we could visit for a few minutes, forego the cake (I have gluten intolerance) and come home to our evening milk indulgence. You will note that I use very creative words to describe our consumption of the milk exclusively , because...um...well honestly, its BORING!  We were graciously greeted at his best friends home by his mother who directed us to the dining room. She stated that she had kept our food warm for us and was so excited that we could come for dinner---even though we were late???? Ummmm, time stood still, as my husband and I gave each other a look of surprise. The things that were twirling through my head. First, breaking the fast was not really THE issue, as I am trying to give up being so structured and rigid on my type A personality when it comes to food. BUT, breaking a milk only fast should be done as gently as we came into it...a few days of juicing and a day of citrus and water.... My son's best friends family are the most sincere, wonderful and generous people you would ever want to meet. There is however a bit of struggle because his mom is spanish speaking and her english is limited. How could we ever explain our crazy milk fast to her without being incredibly rude to our hostess? So, we sat and before us, she laid out the most tender and beautiful roast that had been slow cooked with potatoes, onions, tomatoes and, peppers along with a serving of homemade spanish rice. There was cake also....... My husband and I smiled at each other knowing clearly that we had to break the fast and quietly.  Friendship and respect is far more imporatnt to both of us than a belly ache. So we both picked up our forks and our fast was broken.

 We had a great evening with laughter and conversation. At times, it was more like charades because my spanish is so terrible. I know, I am a TEXAN....I am supposed to speak spanish, right. My best friend is even spanish speaking....it has NOT rubbed off. This was lesson in an area that has been weighing on my mind lately about our mindset over food rules. Beating ourselves up and having so much stress about food. It was nice to forgive myself last night, indulge and truly enjoy a celebration of our young friends birth----it was a memory made. Guess what? I woke up feeling fabulous this morning- no belly ache....just great energy that I put in to a workout. I even wanted a glass of milk for lunch today....not because I had to....because I could. Gotta love freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment