Primitive Diva

My photo
Three Goats Farm of Montgomery, Texas
Melissa is a former beauty queen, personal trainer and certified holistic health coach. Melissa founded Queen Bee Wellness to specialize her coaching practice towards Women's Wellness and Beauty. She helps women focus on finding their own natural beauty from a integrative approach of balancing Mind, Body and Soul. Melissa believes that what we put in our mind is just as important as the nourishing food we put in our bodies and products on our skin. She strives to coach women to balance a healthier body image, approach to wellness and authentic living. With her passion for a clean lifestyle, Queen Bee Wellness therapeutic skin care products were born- to help women enhance their natural glow, without causing harm to their health from chemical laden toxic products. Melissa's philosophy to real beauty is summarized in "Wellness is Beauty". Melissa resides on a 10 acre farm in Montgomery, Texas with her husband and teen aged children. In her spare time she is chief goat wrangler and milker of her "Queen Bee" herd of dairy goats at Three Goats Farm.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Primitive Kids~ Saving our children from Nature-Deficit Disorder

Several years ago, I read a book titled Last Child in the Woods by, Richard Louv. It had such a profound impact on my parenting style. As I was organizing notes for Primitive Kids this week--trying to focus ALL of my spaghetti noodle brain on my DIVA book first-hmmmm....?(for those who know me personally-you know thats impossible, haha)I came upon this well loved, dog-eared book. I could not wait to share it with you. I found a nice description from the authors website (I could have not said it any better). I highly suggest this book if you are a parent, know a parent, or for any educator. It is a new foundation for many progressive educational institutions. If I could go back in time, I most certainly would have placed my youngest son in a school without walls.It has encouraged alot of my advocacy on letting my kids be barefoot, get in the mud, climb trees, pick up bugs and just be KIDS! I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did. Use the link below to purchase directly through my bookstore- If you would like to support my blog and research.

An Overview of Last Child in the Woods

In this influential work about the staggering divide between children and the outdoors, child advocacy expert Richard Louv directly links the lack of nature in the lives of today’s wired generation—he calls it nature-deficit—to some of the most disturbing childhood trends, such as the rises in obesity, attention disorders, and depression.
Last Child in the Woods is the first book to bring together a new and growing body of research indicating that direct exposure to nature is essential for healthy childhood development and for the physical and emotional health of children and adults. More than just raising an alarm, Louv offers practical solutions and simple ways to heal the broken bond—and many are right in our own backyard.
This new edition reflects the enormous changes that have taken place since the book was originally published. It includes:
◦100 actions you can take to create change in your community, school, and family.
◦35 discussion points to inspire people of all ages to talk about the importance of nature in their lives.
◦A new progress report by the author about the growing Leave No Child Inside movement.
◦New and updated research confirming that direct exposure to nature is essential for the physical and emotional health of children and adults.
Last Child in the Woods: Saving our Children from Nature Deficit Disorder has spurred a national dialogue among educators, health professionals, parents, developers and conservationists. This is a book that will change the way you think about your future and the future of your children.




Here is another little jewel that I bought before our Colorado trip last year:


No comments:

Post a Comment